Getting the right domain name is critical to your business. It is the internet gateway to your brand, the first thing that people discover about your business, a source of free internet marketing, and a hook for people to connect to your business.
Here are some tips from our domain name experts to help get you started:
- Short is good, but difficult to get. Short domain name are easy to remember, quick communicate, and much sort after. If you can get a shorter domain name (perhaps by using some of the other tips below), grab it.
- If you are a start up – choose your domain name first. Your domain name is more valuable than your official business name, it is the thing that people will see first. If you are starting a new business, find a good domain name first, and then name your business, second.
- Be creative, misspells can work for you, some very successful internet business are founded on misspellings, e.g. xero.com, toyrus.com
- Be creative, made-up or adapted words can work for you, e.g. facebook.com, carwow.co.uk, 1password.com.
- Don’t step on people’s toes. If you think that you’ve found a good name, check it in Google, do a Trademark search. Why fight somebody else for free internet marketing, check that somebody hasn’t got there first.
- Check the big top-level-domains first. Register your domain name under .COM and your country domain name, e.g. .UK, .CO.UK as a priority.
- Don’t give up if the big top-level-domains are taken. If somebody has taken your favourite domain name to run their own business, forget it. If somebody has parked your favourite domain name hoping that you might offer them money to buy it, that’s up to you. If you don’t want to pay to have a domain name transferred to you then check the other domain endings. There are hundreds of new domain name endings for you to find a domain name that works for your sector, e.g. .party, .art, .gov, .org.uk, .wales, .vodka, .mobile, .fun.